Welcome to the Beta version of CCC&TI's new website! Let us know if you have questions--we're here for you.

Information about Student Complaints

Student Complaint Resolution Process and Procedure

CCC&TI is committed to mutual respect among all constituents of the college community. The purpose of this procedure is to provide CCC&TI students an equitable and orderly process to resolve grievances other than sexual harassment complaints and grade appeals. Because separate policies/procedures exist for these disputes, complaints of this nature are excluded from consideration under this policy.

Definition: A grievance exists in any situation in which students feel that there has been a violation, misinterpretation, or misapplication of an existing college policy including complaints alleging discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, disabling condition, or other personal characteristics.

Students may submit the Student Grievance Form to the Vice President of Student Services (dnholman@cccti.edu). The Student Grievance Policy and procedures are available in the CCC&TI catalog and in the Student Handbook.

Complaints against the institution that fall outside the scope of the Student Grievance Policy or the Grade Appeal Policy may be addressed as outlined below with the appropriate agency.

  1. CCC&TI is a member of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS). If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution’s complaint process, students may file a complaint with the University of North Carolina System Office. Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Process (PDF), then print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

    North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
    c/o Student Complaints
    University of North Carolina System Office
    910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
    Phone: (919) 962-4550
    Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
  2. If a student has evidence of an institution’s non-compliance with SACSCOC standards, policies, and procedures, the next step would be to file a complaint with Caldwell Community College and Technical Institute’s accrediting agency. CCC&TI is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure. The contact information for SACS is:

    Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
    1866 Southern Lane
    Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
    Telephone: (404) 679-4500
    Website: The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
  3. If an issue cannot be resolved internally, students may also file a complaint with his/her home state. Find Your Home State’s Complaint Process. Students may also file a complaint through SARA NC. SARA North Carolina is a program of the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. Please review the SARA-NC Complaint Process and complete the SARA NC Student Complaint Form.

    SARA North Carolina
    North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
    P.O. Box 14103
    Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
    Telephone: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
    Telephone: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667
    Website: http://www.saranc.org/
    Email: information@saranc.org
  4. To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice, please visit the State Attorney General’s web page at: http://www.ncdoj.gov/complaint. North Carolina residents may call (877) 566-7226. Outside of North Carolina, please call (919) 716-6000. En Espanol (919) 716-0058.

    If you choose to mail a complaint, please use the following address:

    Consumer Protection Division
    Attorney General’s Office
    Mail Service Center 9001
    Raleigh, NC 27699-900

Questions about the Student Grievance Policy can be directed to:

Photo of Dena Holman
Dena Holman
Vice President
Student Services
Student Services
Office: Caldwell–F–127 Work Phone: 828.726.2737